Thursday, July 2, 2009

Found: A Glimpse of Another's Life

First let me tell you about a website a found a long time ago - Foundmagazine.com is just that - a website where people post pictures of 'found' items. A love note, a doodle, a list of pros/cons, a random thought jotted down - things that make you wish that you knew more about the story behind the found item.

Every once in a rare while I stop by the site. But the other day, while at a conference I 'Found' something that was found.com-worthy.

Last week I was a conference at the Westin Diplomat in Fort Lauderdale. I spent a lot of time in the fancy upscale restrooms while I pumped twice a day there. At the sink one day, I spotted this lying next to the sink on the marble counter:


It made me think the following: How did it get here? Did Jessica or Paul give this to a pregnant woman that they spotted? Did they leave it here hoping that someone would find it and give them their baby? In either situation, but particularly the first, how much courage would it take to ask a pregnant stranger whether she would like to give up the baby she is carrying? I instantly felt for this couple and wished that I knew more about them.

So I Googled them - they live in Indiana. Jessica is a school nurse - which means that she was, in fact, at the conference I was at - the National Assembly for School Based Health Care.

They seem like wonderful people, they mention that they have a strong faith. I hope that they are successful in adopting a baby. I've decided to pray for them, I'm sure that their struggle is hard.

Originally, I had intended to post this picture on found.com - I don't think that I will now. Their journey is too personal to place there, I think. I know that the people who read my blog will appreciate and respect what these people are trying to accomplish - I hope that many of you will take a moment to pray for them.

2 comments:

Ann Marie said...

Wow, I shed more than a few tears going through their website. Thanks for posting that.

Lissette said...

Can I just tell you this...I feel soo blessed to have you as a friend. I don't follow your blog as much as I would like BUT everytime I read it...it makes me appreciate you and the little things in life even more. Shay my friend, I admire you as a person, I admire the beautiful marriage that you and Alex have and I truly admire the wonderful mommy you are to Caleb! Thanks for being you! :)