Tuesday, February 26, 2008

not a friend of the environment

I remember, growing up in the 80s that there seemed to be a giant 'green movement' at that time. I can't recall why - most of my early childhood is blur, but I think that was probably the first hint of global warming. My jury is still out on how much stock to put in global warming - sometimes people sound like conspiracy theorists when they talk about global warming. Anyway, I'm off topic.

My job lets me commute to work by taking the Metrorail. I have been doing it for a couple of months and I like it a lot. It doesn't take much time off my commute but the stress factor of traffic is significantly reduced. BUT. There is one big drawback for me. I love having church in my car. My car is my place, it's all mine. For about a year now I spend my commute to work listening to Podcasts of varoius pastors. I hold church. It's my quiet time, it's an awesome time for me to get with God. People always remark that I walk into work wiith a smile on my face...well this is why.

So here are my "weekday pastors" - who make my commute so pleasant and get me on the right page with God each and every morning.  I probably look like a crazy person in my car as I laugh and cry along with the sermons.
Ok - so what does that have to do w/ the environment?  I recently decided to stop trying to take the train to work b/c I seriously missed my car-church each morning.  It sounds silly, but it was so important to me.  I guess I will have to apologize to my grandkids after I've helped to screw up the environment by driving 12-miles round trip to work each day.

2 comments:

Emily Jennings said...

Yay.....I'm adding you to my blog roll right now.

Ann Marie said...

I'm not sure about the whole "conspiracy theory" thing...I know that once the media decides something is a "movement" it comes to seem a lot more like a crazy trend and less legitimate, but the fact remains that most reputable scientific organizations acknowledge what is happening. We shouldn't be so quick to disregard scientists just because our crazy media/consumer culture sensationalizes facts. Plus, there are some great Christian leaders out there prioritizing the environment!

That said, I'm totally with you on car time" (I am a fan of silent commuting -- good reflection time!) and I regret how yucky our public transportation is. If it were better, you might have been able to have Shaleen-church on your ipod more comfortably!

xoxoxoxo