Saturday, September 12, 2009

Trials

Had ANOTHER car accident today. Except this one wasn't my fault. It was in a parking lot. I'm very upset because - despite it not being my fault, I was the one who was ticketed.

Without getting into it too much. Picture one of those lots w/ the angled spaces so you can only drive one way. I backed out of my spot and was in the driving lane, just as I was putting my car in drive a car backed out and basically swiped the corner of my bumper. My car was scratched, his had a dent (BMW, I might add). He got out of the car and apologized that it was his fault, he wasn't looking.

I call the police, they come. We talk to him and the guy comments that he had been looking at the car beside his spot because it was close. Nothing much to comment about here. Officer takes our paperwork, licenses and goes to his car. He comes out, talks to the guy; he comes over to my car, and he has a citation for me. I was shocked. I argued with him some that it wasn't my fault, the guy even said it was his fault. The officer says that is not what he says, he never said that to him. But because the damage is to the back of my car and the side of his car (a dent); that it must be my fault. Since there are conflicting stories and no witnesses, he is basing this on the damage. I argue more, I was the one who even requested a report rather than just exchange information - why would I do that if I had hit him?? Nothing.

Back at home, Alex and I call the police station and speak to a sergeant. I explain how he must not have paid attention to the man SAYING that he wasn't looking - and that they never talked to me alone, he only talked to me alone AFTER already issuing a citation to me. Nothing. Because of the conflicting story, they can only base it on the damage.

I'm SO angry. What kind of person lies like that?! He KNOWS that he hit me, yet he's totally willing to lie and let me get a ticket! Now I'll have to go to a hearing, then court to fight the ticket; waste my time, have to deal with my insurance company. I'm sure they'll raise my premium b/c I just had that accident that actually was my fault - see I can admit it when it's my fault.

No comments: