Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Countdown correspondence

Today is Wednesday...my last day is Friday - the countdown is in full swing!

I am doing pretty well. I only got teary-eyed ONE time today, and there were no witnesses (great!). This is impressive considering that I was taken to lunch by my awesome staff (the original ones before my department grew), my great friend Susan (CEO's assistant) and Mo, our CEO. When I arrived to work, I found a beautiful gift bag on my desk and inside....the most thoughtful gift I could imagine! They had gotten me one of those photo mugs...you know where you have photos printed onto the mug. Well, they had made a collage of photos of me with my friends and coworkers over the six years that I've been at The Trust. It was awesome. That's what made me cry a little. I was worried about the lunch - but the conversation was light and fun and thus tear free.

Today I also began packing up my office. This won't be too difficult of a task b/c most of my stuff will stay put as is. I'm only taking personal items and some books or notes that will be particularly useful for consulting later down the road.

So - speaking of tears. I must have just hit an emotional stage of this pregnancy b/c yesterday I got teary and/or weepy a couple of times. Once, while driving home these songs came on by an appropriately named band 'The Weepies'. They are an awesome folk-rock type band that I wouldn't say are particularly melancholy, but they do make me feel nostalgic. Second, while Alex and I were watching American Idol, 'Big Mike' sang some Shania Twain song that sounded to me about moving on after someone dies (although I think it's about a break-up) so I started crying. Third, Alex told me a very sad story about one of the brides at a recent wedding - I won't get into it - I probably would have gotten teary about that even if I wasn't pregnant. And finally, we've been watching the movie Armageddon in pieces for a while now and finished last night. That was the kicker. Alex was teasing me that he thought he would need to change his shirt after the movie b/c I cried all over him. I was kind of a mess at the end of the movie - but it's really sad when Bruce Willis decides to stay on the asteroid to detonate the bomb and says goodbye to his daughter....so sad.

No comments: