Saturday, August 9, 2008

Just awesome

I hope that you watched the Opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics. It was honestly one of the most amazing and beautiful things I've ever seen. I know that sounds like I'm exaggerating - but I'm not. If you saw it you understand.

It was perfection. The show involved over 15,000 performers who never performed in more than one show. Each 'show' involved a sea of 2008 people who were involved in elaborate and highly complicated coordinated dances, movements, drumming, tai chi and karate. We were blown away. If you saw it, I think that my favorite was the concentric circles of tai chi and karate. All 2008 performers were involved in tai chi and karate in perfect concentric circles around the stage. But they would move together so that the circles would periodically change shapes and then return, perfectly into circles. There were no marks on the floor or anything to show when to stop - they were just perfect.

Apparently the opening ceremony alone cost over $300 million dollars. Which is completely outrageous - but I will say, that it was mind-expanding art that was beautiful, complex and really did evoke a lot of emotion.

I looked on YouTube and NBC to try to find pictures or video but I can't find any...so sorry, if you didn't see it.

No comments: