Thursday, October 9, 2008

the glorious everyday

In a much older post, I commented about how much joy I get out of being exposed to opportunities to see the wonder that is everyday life. That is, there is so much beauty to be seen in what occurs in plain, old life.

My favorite movie is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It is so because it points out the beauty of life, but what makes it really, really amazing is that it makes you think about what if you lost those everyday moments?

Eternal Sunshine is a story about a couple, Joel and Clementine. Shortly after breaking up, Joel discovers that Clementine has had all of her memories of their relationship erased. Traumatized by the fact, he in turn erases his memories of her...until midway through the erasing process he discovers the tragedy of what he is doing.

The movie came out in 2004 (so long ago!?). I clearly remember seeing it. Alex and I were either still dating or recently engaged at that time. I remember that I cried in the movie, but when it ended, I was so weighted with the message. The memories that hurt the most are those that mean the most to us - how awful to lose them.

I remember walking out of the theater and thinking about how much I love Alex. And even if we broke up, I would never want to lose the memories that I had made with him because they made up a part of me. Outside the theater, I started sobbing at the thought. I must of looked crazy, but I swear that moment is one of the most singular in falling in love with him.

No comments: