Wednesday, March 25, 2009

So...

So....I haven't been blogging b/c Caleb is HERE!!!! I'm pretty sure that everyone who reads this blog already knows this.

As you can imagine, I've not had a ton of time to blog. Things are wonderful, Caleb is great, fantastic, amazing, gorgeous!

The hardest part of everything so far is breastfeeding - not the act itself, but trying to determine whether he's eating enough. He has weird eating schedules and either only nurses in 'snacks' between falling asleep at the boob or eating for hours on end and then seeming like he's absolutely still starving. In those cases, I usually end up giving him a bottle of some breastmilk, which typically satisfies him - thus reinforcing for me that he's not getting enough at the boob when he nurses for so long. The breastfeeding consultant I've met with and who I saw today at a BF support group hates that - and says that the breast always provides exactly as much food as your baby needs. We'll see. For now this is working.

When we first got home we had to supplement with some formula - which I hated to do, but it was b/c he wasn't pooping and they wanted to avoid him getting jaundice. Thankfully, that's been out of the picture pretty much all of this week, I think. Hard to tell - I typically don't know what day it is.

Today we went to our first Breastfeeding support group. That was fun, there were like 5 moms there, all my age and we just talked about managing babies and life, etc. It was nice to be with other moms of babies. Afterwards, Caleb and I went to Whole Foods and had lunch with Ann Marie. That was fun too. Caleb was a good baby and slept while we were at Whole Foods and slept/nursed while we were at the BF group.

I don't have too many pictures right now, but you can see some at Alex's blog. For whatever reason, Alex likes to take pictures of Caleb while I'm nursing him - there's nothing indecent to see in the picture, it's usually just close-ups of Caleb's hands, toes, back, etc. But I've requested that he take some that actually include me in them so that I can post them.

Take care-
Shaleen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the birth of baby Caleb

He is so gorgeous and such gorgeous photos too

God bless
love
SuzanneinAustralia
HP