Sunday, March 1, 2009

The things people say

Every pregnant woman gets TONS of unsolicited advice. Some of it is helpful. We also get TONS of unsolicited statements about what to expect - most of that is NOT helpful. I've learned that the vast majority of people liked to warn me about all the unpleasant things that come with pregnancy.

Fortunately for me, I have had SUCH a smooth pregnancy. Really uneventful with my only lasting and really frustrating symptom being heartburn that is more than anything I ever imagined. If you want gross details, I can give those. The funny thing, is that the unpleasant warnings keep coming. When I tell people that I've had an easy pregnancy, I would say that slightly more than half feel the need to say something like: "Oh, then you're probably going to have a HORRIBLE labor." What am I supposed to say to that? "Oh gee, thanks for that." So silly.

But lately, the advice I've been getting is really fun. Since we are pretty open with telling people that we are praying for Caleb to come at ANY time earlier than our due date, I am getting SO much advice on how to induce labor. Here's what I've got so far:

1. Taking evening primrose oil capsules 4x per day. This one came from a midwife. So I'm on top of that one.

2. Eating eggplant. This one came from Emily. I did try this on Thursday night, I went and got Eggplant Parm for dinner and ate the second half at lunch the next day - so far nothing. But it was VERY delicious, so I may eat it again this week.

3. Go to Brookstone and get a massage in a massage chair. This woman I know told me that this worked for 2 of 3 of her kids. This was actually told to me when I ran into her at the mall - so I did, in fact, go to Brookstone and got an awesome 15 minute massage in an expensive chair. While sitting there I think that this actually may have worked for her. You see, I've learned that there are two pressure points on the body that can induce labor - one in the hand, and one on the inside of the leg just below the calf. That chair spent a solid 10 minutes massaging my calves. So there may have been something to that. The massage was awesome, so I may go to Brookstone again next week - even if I don't go into labor, it was very relaxing.

4. I will know that labor is 'imminent' when my lips start to get weird looking and puffy. Told to me by a friend at church. Again, perhaps may have been true for her, I've read that just before going into labor a lot of women will have a lot of swelling even if they haven't had it throughout the pregnancy. So...I will keep an eye on my lips.

5. Eat: pineapple, spicy food

6. Other practical things - walking, and other physical things to induce labor.

Does anyone have anything else to add???

Also - feel free to start picking dates that I may go into labor. My actual due date is March 15. We are praying for around the 8th.

1 comment:

Lourdes and Jamie said...

There are other things you can do with primrose oil... gimme a call.

Squats. Goggle yoga poses for speeding things up.

I had a wonderful pregnancy and an awesome birth. It's all going to be wonderful. It's mostly about perspective.

I don't know why women feel the need to scare other women about how beautiful and natural this experience is. That kind of thing really annoyed me and I started to explicitly tell them that those kinds of thoughts and energy were not welcome.

Anyway, enjoy these last moments, it was bittersweet to have the baby, as it was sad not to be pregnant anymore--I still miss it!