Saturday, April 5, 2008

the way we were

More and more often lately, I am reminded that I am just not the same person that I once was. "How do you come to that realization?" you ask. Well, because every so often, Alex and I will be reminded of something that we used to like and we try to relive it. It just doesn't work. So here are the latest in a list of things that just aren't as funny as they once were:

1. Mystery Science Theater 3000. Tried to rent it at Blockbuster, they didn't have it. I recalled it being SO funny that I bought it on Half.com for $25. We tried to watch it last week. It was painful and 100% NOT funny.

2. The Big Lebowski. While it's still modestly amusing, it is just not as funny as it was before in my crazier days.

3. (this one hurts). Fletch. This was a Hamilton-family favorite. The movie has a TON of quotable lines. Alex had never seen it. Aaron gave it to me for Christmas and, finally, my husband was able to participate in the joy that is Fletch. Aside from the memories that I have from the movie, it just wasn't as funny as before. Alex doesn't like it at all.

Some things are still funny though:

1. Seinfeld. Stays funny.
2. The Simpsons. Stays funny.
3. Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Still REALLY funny.
4. The Great Outdoors. john candy + dan akroyd = funny.
5. American Funniest Home Videos. Just funny, no 2 ways 'bout it.

3 comments:

CS Sweatman said...

How dare you knock Fletch!! :-)

Jenn and I had our first "date" (back when I was in 7th grade) watching Fletch Lives.

You did, however, redeem yourself with Planes, Trains, & Automobiles, and The Great Outdoors.

Anonymous said...

This was a very tough read... how can MST3K not be funny, or even remotely entertaining? Granted, some episodes have been lackluster... but then there are the "classics". I question what episode you viewed... my very favorite (and I would suggest giving it a try) is, well there are two really; 1) MST3K The Movie, and Time Chasers. Now you stepped on some toes with Fletch... see Carls' comment ;-)

Anyway, know that we love you... we don't judge you too harshly for your candor... and we highhly recommend The Office (USA).

Love to you My Shaleen!

Shaleen said...

Good comments, I appreciate them. So, Jenn - here are the episodes that are on my MST3K DVD (volume 1). It has 4 episodes: Bloodlust, Catalina Caper, The Creeping Terror and Skydivers.

Did I make the wrong purchase?