Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter

Today was such a nice day - a busy day after a busy weekend, but it was good. I had invited my parents, in-laws and Alex's sister and her family over for Easter/Alex's birthday lunch. So I got up early to bake a cake before going to church. I made Shanda's Gooey Cake (so delicious and sweet).

The day just started out right, I listened to Jars of Clay's Redemption Songs while I was cooking. I just had a great time with God there at home by myself (alex was already at church), and then driving in to church. I really felt like God was going to do something great that day.

Today was also the official launch of Christ Fellowship's Downtown Campus. We've been there for months but this is the official launch. Church was great, they started a leader-service at 9:00 - so that we can still hear the sermon although we are serving during the main service at that campus.

Last week, I had spent some time reading the Easter story of Christ's arrest, crucifixion and resurrection. I read one thing that I had never seen before. In John 17, Jesus is praying with his disciples (before the Garden), specifically he is praying FOR them and that they will be strengthened by the spirit after his death. But then the prayer continues to pray for those who WILL believe in him in the future. He is praying for ME and all other believers. It is such a personal prayer, and especially in John 17:24 - Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. I love that - Jesus knows that he is about to die for us, and his prayer to God is that he just wants to be with us in the world as it was meant to be. THAT is exactly why he did what he did.

No comments: