Monday, March 3, 2008

The process is the point

Think about the richest and most fulfilling relationship you have...got it? Probably, this is your spouse or a sibling, parent, boyfriend or girlfriend. Regardless, it is someone in which you have much invested and vice versa.

Here is my question - did that relationship reach that level immediately? No. In order to reach that point it took emotional risk. Reaching that level in a relationship requires that we take a step of faith--knowing full well that we may get hurt, embarrassed, angry, ashamed, etc.

The point is, we only reached that level with that person who knows us and loves us best after opening up and taking that risk. If you're like me - as you think about that relationship and reflect on the fulfillment you receive from it - you are probably not thinking just about today, right now. You are thinking about the process -- what it was like to reach the point of today, right now with that person. The process IS the point.

So, I heard a sermon that wasn't really on this topic but just had the phrase the process is the point and it made me think about all that I've said up to now and what I will say. People who are skeptical of God commonly cite the defense that He appears to be confusing, unclear, unfair or inconsistent.

I find it odd, that one who doesn't know Him is so quick and certain to make statement of His character. You don't even know Him. If people were willing to just try a little bit of a relationship with God, it would be amazing for their lives. Take an emotional (or spiritual) risk -- if you are unwilling to believe in the first place then, really, what do you have to lose?

I think it is a fair comparison to look at the process of knowing God and a close human relationship - like I have with Alex. But what is mind blowing is how insignificant that relationship is compared to how that same process unfolds with God. But it's the best comparison I could make.

No comments: