Sunday, June 29, 2008

Recipe sharing.

This blog post is dedicated to Crissa's boyfriend Billy Jack who made stuffed peppers for Ann Marie and Eddie when they visited them in Asheville. Ann Marie raved over the dinner and cooked it here - she gave me the recipe and I cooked it tonight ASAP.

I'm posting the "recipe" as I got it from Ann Marie and then I'll add a couple of comments on what I might change later. The meal was amazing (I'm not really a stuffed pepper fan - but I will be adding these to my dinner repertoire)

Peppers stuffed w/ turkey and cous cous, served with sweet potato:

Cooked a package (1.3 pounds?) of lean ground turkey meat with onions, salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder....once meat was browned I added chopped spinach, a box of whole wheat garlic/olive oil cous cous (that I had already prepared on the side), and at the very end some crumbled goat cheese.

Stuffed 4 big yellow peppers with the mixture and baked at 400 for 12 minutes or so (until the pepper felt tender-ish; I like mine still a little crunchy so you might modify that part)

For the sweet potatoes (3 big ones) I diced them into small cubes and cooked them in boiling water until tender. Then once the peppers were stuffed and in the oven i put the potatoes in a baking dish and added 2 tablespoons of margarine, some salt, cumin, and cinnamon. Then I put them in the oven for a few minutes until the butter melted and stirred them up before serving.

Shaleen's possible modifications, all based on trying to make the inside less crumbly - it was delicious but messy - all the inside fell out when cut open.

Next time I would:
Cook the meat less, I fully fully cooked it, I would probably cook until just barely browned or slightly pink and then bake longer.

Maybe beat an egg in a separate bowl and add a tiny bit at a time to the mixture so that it would bind it all together.

Bake a little bit longer - my peppers were warm but pretty much totally crispy.

No comments: